The El Milagro Mine is up the old road southeast of the San Augustin mine (map). According to Ipina, it was discovered by Ventura Ruiz in 1779 who named it “El Senor de los Milagros”. Ipina states that Ruiz found a rich silver outcropping when, the morning after sleeping out over night, he found beads of silver in the ashes of his cold campfire. More of these histories are repeated by Montejano. Ruiz also is supposedly the “El Negrito” for whom the Negrito mine was named.
El Milagro is an extensive complex developed on two levels, the upper having the open mine shafts and the lower part was perhaps used for processing of the ore. This complex is one of the finer examples of a local mine and is less visited than those in the “Pueblo Fantasma” area.